One swallow ...

... does not make a summer but it sure is a true sign that spring is on the way!

Up around Billinge hill this morning in the search for the first few long distance migrants was not going too well until a familiar streamlined dark shape flitted into view over a stagnant pool of water near the pine copse.

Alas that was the only migrant I found but it is my earliest swallow in St Helens beating my previous earliest by 12 days.

Maybe tommorow the wheatears will turn up ....

Other sightings:
2 redpoll (passing over)
6 siskin (passing over)
1 Raven
2 grey partridge
1 great spotted woodpecker
1 sparrowhawk
Plenty of tree sparrow, yellowhammer, skylark on territory too

Paul B

Sent from my iPod

2 comments :

  1. Nice one! As far as I know that's the earliest Swallow ever in St Helens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the late reply ..... I was rather chuffed and could hardly believe my eyes as there was no sign of any other migrants at all

    Paul B

    ReplyDelete